Monday, September 30, 2013

Unit 9


Introduction:
                It is important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually, and physically because they need to be at their best in order to be able to help their patients. I need to work on all three of these areas, but I am making improvements and feel like I am going in the right direction.

Assessment:
               I have assessed my health in each domain, and these are my scores. My spiritual wellness is scored at a 7. I have a close relationship with God and with Jesus Christ, but I need to work on my church attendance and on my bible reading. I am learning to spend more time each day in prayer; which is very good.

My physical assessment is about a 5; but I am expecting that to improve soon. I have run out of all of my medications because of my move, so I do not have the medications I need for my diabetes and my chronic pain. I am walking at least 2 miles each day, and I am trying to work out whenever I can. As soon as I can get back on my medications, my physical health should improve dramatically.

Psychologically, I am at a 3. I do not have my friends available to help me with my issues as much; and I am dealing with some pretty tough situations in my life right now. I am looking for a counselor, and I need to get back on my medication as well. I have not given up hope, though and I know that life will get better.

Goal development:
            I have a couple of goals for my spiritual development. I want to improve my church attendance to at least 3 times a month; but I would rather be going 4 or more times each month. I also want to increase the time I spend reading my bible each day. Physically, I need to get back on all my medications. I would also like to spend at least 2 hours each week at our work-out room. Psychologically, I am a mess. I need to make finding a counselor a priority.            I am already practicing stress relief through meditation and prayer, but I need to find more time for myself. I need to spend at least 30 minutes each day in quiet solitude so that I can get my head back on straight.

Practices for personal health:

            To improve my spiritual health, I am going to make reading my bible a priority. To accomplish this, I am going to start getting up 15 minutes earlier each day and then spend those 15 minutes reading my bible. I also want to improve my church attendance to at least 3 weeks each month. To do this, I am going to start going to bed earlier on Saturday nights, and setting out the clothes I want to wear in the morning before I go to bed.

            Physically, I need to get back on my medication, and exercise more. I am going to start walking at least 3 miles each day, and set aside at least 30 minutes each day to work out in our exercise room. I plan to use the stationary bike, the free weights, and some of the other weight machines in the exercise room. I am also giving serious thought to joining Weight Watchers. They can help me to meet my weight goals much faster and easier than I can do it myself.

 Psychologically, I need to make finding a counselor a priority. I need to have someone I can talk to about some of the stuff that is going on in my life. I also need to set aside at least 30 minutes each day to spend in quiet solitude. I can spend that time meditating and/or praying; but I will not allow myself to dwell on my problems. Since I have not really found the guided meditations to be all that useful, I will probably just relax and work on my witnessing and calm-abiding mind.

 Commitment:

            In order to assess my progress, or lack thereof, in the next six months; I am going to use a calendar to mark down what I did towards each goal, each day. To assist me in maintaining my long-term practices, I can focus on what my goals are and how to reach them. I can also make myself accountable by keeping track of how I am doing and how often I practice each step. If I join Weight Watchers, they will help me to be accountable to them for my weight loss goals. If I feel like I am losing sight of my goals, I can talk to someone about them and what I am trying to accomplish. My husband is a great listener, and encourager.

           

3 comments:

  1. Lori,

    Glad to hear that you are on the right track. Like you, my major problem is just keeping to routine, which consistency is a lot of people's problem. I really like the mediation practice; however, am fearful that after this class, implementing mediation may be lost in my busy life. As far as working out, have you tried taking a class? A lot of people benefit from classes, and since you are working out with others you are not only motivated but are held accountable, as people in class expect to see you. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori,
    I have found that small goals are easier to focus on and build up to lager goals. I find that if I think that I want to workout for 5 days out of the week, I give myself a day off here and there and by the end of the week, since I kept pushing it off, I didn't get my five days in. I have found that if I can commit to doing something daily, I usually get it done. I can find 20-30 minutes a day to walk in place or do squats or pick up my weights, usually while I am watching tv with my client. I have also found that even when waiting in line at the store, I can do some practice of calm-abiding. This is where I try to keep my mind still without being distracted by what is doing on around me. It is very hard to make changes in ones life, especially if it is braking a routine that is familiar. Like Daniel said, I have found that getting a friend to walk or work out or even just to know my physical goals has helped to keep me accountable. Keep in mind that you want someone who will encourage, not enable.

    Don't give up. A little at a time is better than none. I think joining WW would be great if you need the support of someone and the breaking of old habits.

    Best of luck and keep in mind, we are the only one who can change who and what we want of ourselves.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,
    It sounds as if you are off to a good start because you know where you are, where you need to be, and how you need to go about getting the help and support that you need. I like the calendar idea for accountability. It's good to have something visual to remind us of the goals we have set for ourselves. Always remember that small steps turn into longer steps, which lead to accomplishments. If we fall, we get up, dust ourselves off, and keep going. Best of luck and my you acheive your heart's desire!

    ReplyDelete